Thursday, June 25, 2015

Lady Readers Bookstuff Presents The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Ruby Iyer #1) by Laxmi Hariharan Book Review


Synopsis:

A YA action-thriller, with strong dystopian undertones and a kickass protagonist, taking you on a white knuckle ride through a disintegrating Bombay City.

A terrifying encounter propels Ruby Iyer from her everyday commute into a battle for her own survival. Trusting her instincts, she fights for the things she believes in, led on a mysterious path between life and death on the crowded roads of Bombay; and when her best friend is kidnapped by the despotic Dr Braganza, she will do anything to rescue him. Anything, including taking the help of the sexy Vikram Roy, a cop-turned-rogue, on a mission to save Bombay. The city needs all the help it can get, and these two are the only thing standing between its total destruction by Dr Braganza's teen army. As Bombay falls apart, will Ruby be able to save her friend and the city? Will she finally discover her place in a city where she has never managed to fit in? And what about her growing feelings for Vikram?

The Origins of Ruby Iyer:

Growing up in Bombay I was weighed down by the expectations of traditional Indian society. Yet, I wanted to be economically independent. So, daily I would leave the relative safety of home, knowing that my commute to work was going to be nightmarish. It's just how public transport is in this city. When you get on a crowded local train platform, you accept that you are probably going to be felt up. Every time this happened to me, I would get really angry. But, I would deal with it and get on. When a young photojournalist was raped in the centre of Bombay in broad daylight, I was furious. It was as if nothing had changed in all the years I had been away. I had a vision of this young girl who would not back down anymore; who would stand up for herself regardless of the consequences. Who would follow her heart ... Thus Ruby Iyer was born. Ruby is her own person. She leads I follow.

Goodreads:

Review:

The Many Lives Of Ruby Iyer was a very interesting story. It is set in Bombay which is currently Mumbai and the descriptions were so vivid I could picture Mumbai in my head.

This the story about Ruby living in Mumbai and having to deal with things no woman should have to deal with. Her best friend is kidnapped and she decides to fight back by searching for her friend. Ruby is so determined to find out what happened to her friend and locate her friend she ends up befriending a cop gone rogue Vikram.

Vikram is trying to help Ruby because Dr Braganza is threatening Ruby so Vikram decides to help out. This is where the story begins and it is like the roller coaster ride and I could not get enough of this story. I was on the edge of my seat wanting and needing to know what happened at the end.

This is a MUST READ story for all mystery lovers!


A near life experience told me to write... I never stopped. 
Thanks to technology, you can constantly reinvent yourself in the space of a lifetime. 
These are my roles:


Shadowfie

I am the one time-trapped in that sixteen year old rebellious teen I was... 
But was born old, with an uncomfortable insight through which I purvey the world: I obsess often about why we do the things we do. Perhaps, that is why I created Ruby Iyer - she starts out terrified, but then chooses to live life on her own terms. 

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer debuted #1 Hot New Release on Amazon in Asian Lit.


I also wrote The Destiny of Shaitan - #1 Bombay Chronicles. It went to #2 on the kindle epic fantasy charts, and won gold at the 2013 global eLit awards.


Obviously selfie obsessed:


Sunfie

I am a marketer: have worked with NBCUniversal and MTV 


Can't hide that wide grin 


More likely to be seen like this - a cigar smoking, befuddled writer.

I also blog for huffingtonpost.co.uk


#Holifie

Really though I just want to be like this #treeoflaxmi - Stay the path... 


I also help London Indian Film Festival, Europe's #1 Festival for Indian Independent Cinema


Reach me @laxmi or on my Facebook page

London is where I create. Bombay is what fires my imagination.

Download The Ruby Iyer Diaries (prequel) FREE on Amazon here

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Book 1) is available here 

For sneak peeks into my new books & giveaways subscribe to my newsletter here

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer - Chapter 1


Subscribe to my newsletter here and get a free copy of The Ruby Iyer Diaries

An angry young girl desperate to rescue her best friend. A sexy cop willing to do anything to save his city. A delusional doctor bent on annihilation. 

A terrifying encounter with a molester propels Ruby Iyer from her everyday commute into a battle for her own survival. Trusting her instincts, she fights for what she believes in, led on a mysterious path between life and death on the crowded roads of Bombay; and when her best friend is kidnapped by the despotic Dr Braganza, she will do anything to rescue him. Anything, including taking the help of the dangerous super cop Vikram Roy, on a mission to save Bombay. The city needs all the help it can get, and these two are the only thing standing between its total destruction by Dr Braganza's teen army. As Bombay falls apart, will Ruby be able to save her friend and the city? Will she finally discover her place in a city where she has never managed to fit in? And what about her growing feelings for Vikram?

The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer is a character driven, thriller-fantasy, with a kick-ass protagonist taking you on a white-knuckle ride, through a disintegrating Bombay city. It debuted at #1 Hot New Release on Amazon Asia Lit and is a finalist in the 9th Indie Excellence Awards.

Download The Ruby Iyer Diaries (prequel) FREE on Amazon here

For sneak peeks into my new books & latest in writing news subscribe to my newsletter here

CHAPTER ONE

I need to get the fuck out of here. Grasping the edge of the train platform, I scream with pain as my fingernails tear. A low rumbling, growing louder. The 8.05am to Churchgate blares its horn, coming straight at me.

I look for help, look up at my tormentor. When he stretches his hand I shrink away from his arousal.

Get the fuck out of here.

Red and blue sparks crackle. An open electricity wire dangles on the other side of the tracks. Heart pounding with panic I scream for help to the rush hour Bombay crowd. Nobody hears me.

I don’t have a choice.

I fling out an arm gone rigid with dread. My skin shrivels, as the hand that grabbed my crotch now clutches my wrist.

The Hand bends towards me and I shriek with terror. Of him.

He claws off my other palm still gripping the platform and jerks me up, high, almost eye level. I hang there suspended, swaying.

Heat from the train crashes over me.

Can’t. Breathe.

Then, I am flying through the dust, thrown free of the tracks.

"Don't go too far, little girl," my ma's voice taunts. "You don't know what demons are out there."

For more read The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer (Ruby Iyer #1) from Amazon US| Amazon UK| Amazon India| Amazon India Paperback | Flipkart 

Subscribe to my newsletter to find out about the release of The First Life of Vikram Roy (Ruby Iyer #3) & The Second Life of Ruby Iyer (Ruby Iyer #4)

Add Ruby on Goodreads.

Read The Ruby Iyer Diaries, (Ruby Iyer series prequel) FREE on AMAZON here

If Ruby intrigues you, then please do mention her to your friends :)

Thank you for reading Ruby’s story.

No comments: